University of Georgia
With rigorous academic requirements for all athletes, Georgia is setting the pace for a new paradigm of scholarships among its top level football, baseball, gymnastics, tennis, and swim teams.
College sports have captured the hearts of millions of Americans, from loyal students and alumni cheering on their schools to local businesses and fans. They finished 5th in the 2009-2010 NACDA reckoning of sports colleges, placing them in the top 5 for the first time.
4. 5. University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)
One of the country’s most widely recognized sports schools, UCLA was the first university to win over 100 NCAA championships, making the Bruins a fixture among the top basketball schools. The Gators are also known for their strong contenders in football, men’s basketball, and women’s golf, soccer, football, tennis, and volleyball.. Stanford University
With an impressive record in virtually every varsity sport, this Ivy League school holds the top ranking among sports colleges. University of Southern California
Southern California is best known for its varsity football team, which has won 11 championships, but also excels in basketball and a host of other college athletics.
10. Whether you follow college baseball, football, gymnastics, volleyball, soccer, or other varsity athletics, these are some of the top universities to beat:
1. University of Florida
Florida is renowned in a number of varsity sports, notably excelling in women’s swimming and men’s track and field in the 2009-2010 season. Stanford has brought home the NACDA Director’s Cup award for Division I sports for the past 15 years, qualifying it as best overall for collegiate sports in the United States.
6. Florida State University
Florida State is a top contender in a number of college athletics programs, including football, basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball, swimming, and diving. The school is also known for victories in men’s diving, swimming, golf, track, gymnastics, men’s and women’s fencing, and more.
7. The university is known for its basketball team, as well as women’s soccer, women’s field hockey, and men’s lacrosse.
9. UCLA is also renowned for its women’s sports performances, with the softball, track, gymnastics, and rowing teams excelling in 2009-2010.
With a staff of over 100 coaches and assistants, 34 varsity sports, and about 300 athletic scholarships, it’s no wonder this school presented 49 athletes in the 2008 Beijing Winter Olympics and has over 9,000 students enrolled in intramural sports in any given semester.
8. University of Texas
This Texas school has won more titles than any other school in the Big 12 League since it was founded in 1996. University of Virginia
The Cavaliers raced to top positions in women’s rowing and men’s soccer in the past year, among the school’s other sporting achievements.
With the widespread popularity of college sports teams, and the consistent successes of each of these colleges on the field and in the stadium, it’s no wonder these top 10 sports schools garner the support and spirit of students and fans all over the nation.
3. University of North Carolina
North Carolina has won 51 titles and 34 national championships in 6 different sports, making its mark as one of the top sports colleges in the United States. Ohio State University
Ohio State has brought home championship wins in all three of the biggest men’s sports: basketball, football, and baseball. They’re especially known for their excellence in football, as well as putting forward strong contenders in track and baseball.
He is the only Two time Heisman trophy recipient and had some nice stats including 25 rushing scores and over five thousand career rushing yards.
4. Tim Tebow (Florida): The Florida Gators star quarterback has amazing statistics. He won the Holiday Bowl and had nice stats including: 3,556 rushing yards, 47 TD’s and over 1,400 yards from punt and kick returns. He played wide receiver and quarterback on occasion. What a player he was nominated three times for the Heisman winning it once in 2007. When he touched the ball you knew great things were going to happen.
9. He was a corner back, kick returner and a wide receiver. That is to say he played offense and defense. He won the Heisman trophy in 1982 and he helped to defeat Notre Dame to win the Sugar Bowl. You must have respect because Bo knows multiple sport success. In 1923, he won, The Helms Athletic Foundation Championship. He rushed for 5, 259 yards in his three year NCAA playing days. He could do amazing thing when he touched a football.
7. Herschel Walker (Georgia): Walker had statistics that can not be denied when he was the half back for the Georgia Bulldogs. Walker had over 2,000 rushing and receiving total yards, 14 passing touchdowns and over 1,600 total pass yards.
8. Also, tell me who you think the number 1 player in college football history is.
3. He won the Maxwell Award and he played lots of positions which is amazing. Jim Thorpe (Carlisle Indian): In 1911 and 1912 he was an All American and he led his team to a National Championship in 1912. Red passed for 575 yards and tossed three touch downs.
6. I really enjoyed watching Woodson go on to play for the Oakland Raiders.
10. Charles Woodson (Michigan): In 1997 Woodson won the Heisman trophy playing Iron man for the Wolverines. Red Grange (Illinois): Grange won All American honors three years in a row. Bo Jackson was fortunate to be a part of the winning Auburn Tigers for the Sugar Bowl and the Liberty Bowl and was the MVP of both football contests. Thorpe had over three thousand yards on the ground, 330 passing yards and over 700 yards in kick off and punt returns.. He led his team to National Championships in 2006 and 2008. 88 passing touchdowns, 57 rushing touchdowns and 9, 285 passing yards to go along with 2,947 rushing yards. Grange had 2,071 rushing yards and over 900 yards from punt and kick off returns. He also had 49 rushing touchdowns. Look at these numbers. In the 80s John Elway was a household name. Doak Walker (Southern Methodist University): In 1948, as a Junior he won the Heisman trophy and was a three time All America which is outstanding. He was a corner back and knocked downed lots of football passes and made lots of interceptions as well.
5. Tim Tebow was one of my favorite college players to watch play. He was a half back, defensive back, kicker and punter. He passed the football for a very high 77 touchdowns and his yards for his four year career were outstanding with 9,349 passing yards. Barry Sanders (Oklahoma State): He easily won the Heisman trophy in 1986 while rushing for 2,628 yards. John Elway (Stanford): He was an All American in 1982, and finished second in the running for The Heisman Trophy voting that same year. He has played all over the field including running back, punt returner and even quarterback. Walker was a legend in his own time, he was another great and entertaining player. Archie Griffin (Ohio State): Griffin had a banner Junior year rushing for 1,695 yards and scored a total of 12 touch downs in 1974. Bo Jackson (Auburn): Bo Jackson won the Heisman trophy in 1985 and he was the consensus All American in 1983 and again in 1985. He helped Michigan go undefeated and win the National Championship He was a true defensive talent that helped him get 18 interceptions, 395 yards receiving and even two rushing scores. Jackson had 43 rushing touchdowns and 4,303 total rushing yards in his four year college stint. Barry Sanders went on to play for the Detroit Lions as a running back and although he never won a Superbowl, he is widely considered one of the top running backs in Detroit Lions history.
1. Bo knows best.
2. He could run, jump, slide and score like no other quarterback could.
Please feel free to leave comments in the comments box at the bottom of this page because I love reading others’ opinions
and were charged with possession of a controlled substance and possessing a firearm in the presence of drugs. Robinson was also charged with felony possession, according to Al.com.
“I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I’m doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning,” Jones said.
According to ESPN, citing a police report, an officer approached the players’ vehicle at the closed park and smelled marijuana. The report alleges that the marijuana and handgun were in in plain sight and the stolen handgun was found under the passenger seat.
“That’s the way we’ve always done it. That’s the way I like to do it with my own children. Jones was one of the top prospects coming out of high school.
Both players were arrested last month at a public park in Louisiana at 2:30 a.m. It’s how do you change somebody’s behavior so they have a better chance to be successful.
Robinson is an all-conference offensive lineman entering his junior season. “Discipline is not necessarily just punishment, which a lot of people view it that way. I think that’s the way most parents like to do it with their own children.”
Click for more from KNOE-TV.
The Louisiana district attorney announced Monday that gun and drug charges against two college football players have been dropped.
District Attorney Jerry Jones told KNOE-TV that there was insufficient evidence to bring charges against University of Alabama athletes Cam Robinson and Laurence Jones. He said there wasn’t enough evidence to prove who was in possession of the gun and the drugs.
Head football coach Nick Saban told AL.com in May that the program will handle the discipline, if any, internally.
“If we can change their behavior based on what we do, that would be the purpose of discipline,” Saban said. That’s the way we always try to do it